Wednesday, March 23, 2011
I'm not sure how that happened. Surely it really hasn't been that long since I blogged? But I guess it has. About that time is when I got a new boss, and the next year and a half was just....ugh. I won't even begin to describe it. But I have a new boss now, and he's awesome, and I'm not just saying that because he had the foresight to hire me here at Mid-Size University 20 years ago either. (Well - not much anyway)
So - what has been going on in Hicksville? About the same. The boys continue to grow up on me - they've finally figured out that they really don't have to continue wearing those bricks on their heads - and that doesn't keep them from growing anyway - darn it all. We still have our chickens, and the gardening season has started.
And oddly enough, Holy Mama!, has given me this:
Now - normally this is given to folks she thinks are versatile bloggers - but when she gave me this, she didn't know I *had* a blog (much less one that as been ignored for lo these many months), and was telling me I needed to start one. Ha! So I'm one up on her. ;-)
Along with being given this cute little thingy (and I refuse to call it an award. Because well - she's not the only one who's weird with complements), I am supposed to list 7 random things about myself, then award this to 15 blogs. 7 random things? THAT'S easy. Picking 15 blogs? That'll be a little more difficult.
So without further ado - 7 random things about me:
1. I've only named our regular sized chickens. We have two of those, and 6 banty chickens, and I refuse to name them. Because we may end up eating them someday. Although, the white leghorn hasn't laid any eggs in a week or so and the hubby is muttering that it's time to have her for dinner. Uh no - you are not. Etta is just on vacation, and I'm sure she'll be laying again in no time. Personally, I think she's sulking because she & Mabel don't have a rooster boyfriend and she knows no rooster boyfriend, no baby chicks, so why bother?
2. I am attempting to grow potatoes this year. M is convinced you can't grow them out here, but I know darn well my grandparents did, so by golly, so can I.
3. I love hockey. I also miss it a great deal. Watching it on TV is not the same as attending 3 games a week in the winter. I long for a chance to cheer at a home town goal, and yell mean things at the ref. They won't let us do that at high school games in Hicksville. All that sportsmanship stuff. Hmph.
4. I love to crunch numbers and gather statistics. It's a weirdness that I've learned to embrace.
5. When pulling weeds and grass out of my garden and flower beds, I think mean thoughts about how I'm killing them. That's how I get out all my aggression these days. Again - I've learned to embrace that weirdness as well.
6. Reading is my consuming passion. And I'll read just about anything. If it weren't for the library and good friends, I'd be broke.
7. My shyness is ridiculous. And sporadic. While at work, I don't have a shy bone in my body. I am in my comfort zone. If you are a visitor to my home, same thing. Put me at someone else's home, around people I don't know? I'm Mysti the Mute.
Now - for the 15 blogs - this says they're supposed to be new to me, so they are listed in order of recent appearance on my Google Reader:
1. WWdN: In Exile Because I'm a closet nerd. And Wil Wheaton's blog is awesome.
2. This Garden Is Illegal Because in case you hadn't noticed, I dig gardening. (get it? Dig gardening? hahahahahahah - I crack myself up.)
3. Tales of a Monkey, a Bit, and a Bean Following Rachel as she has rebuilt her life after losing a child. Truly inspirational.
4. Reflecting, writing and rejoicing I went tohigh school with Shannon back in Washington state, and it's been fun to see how she's turned out.
5. Random Ramblings of a SAHM Lori is coping with life after the loss of her husband.
6. Notes from the Trenches Life with 7 kids!
7. Lifescapes Blog of Susan Wittig Albert, who also lives in Texas. But she's in the Hill Country, which means she has bluebonnets. I am beyond envious this time of year. But not in July when 95 is a cool day.
(Who's idea was it to do *15* blogs? That's alot of blogs!)
8. In the Crease Because I miss hockey. :-(
9. Brian's Corner of the World One of my hockey buddies who moved to San Antonio recently. Bet he has bluebonnets too.
10. Blogs Are Stupid For someone who thinks that, she manages to write some of the most interesting, insightful stuff.
11. Ask Jackie This is the ultimate versatile blog. If you want to know how to do anything - just ask Jackie. She knows. She knows everything!
Ok - I give up. I've run out of people. Does this mean I can't keep my versatile thingy?
(And thanks so much to Kelsey for thinking of me. I promise - I will try to blog more often, and get some pictures of Mabel, Etta and the chickens. Just for her.)