Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday

I'm gonna be brave and post something that makes my life easier. If you haven't made of habit of checking Shannon's Works for Me Wednesday, for pete's sake, what are you waiting for?? I LIVE for WFMW!!!

My kids love homemade pizza. My husband loves homemade pizza. I love the price of homemade pizza. And with both of us working, I tend to buy the package of pizza dough mix that you just add water, let it rise 5 minutes then roll it out on your pan. The instructions say you just "press the dough out with your fingers."

Uh huh. Unless you're *me* and you spend 30 minutes getting you hands covered in sticky dough and it looks like the most uneven splat of dough you've ever seen with it paper thin on one end and 3 inches thick on the other. Using a rolling pin doesn't work because my rolling pin is too big for my pizza pan. So instead of doing that, I just pull out my handy dandy jelly glass (you know - the glasses that you buy jelly in, then you soak off the label and voila! Free glass the perfect size for iced tea!), flour it, and use it to roll out the dough. It's quick, easy, and when I'm done, I just rinse it off, pop it in the dishwasher and that's the end of my cleanup.

Works for me!

3 comments:

  1. What a nifty idea -- especially since my rolling pin is wood and I can't throw it in the dishwasher. The glass is more practical. I'll have to try this the next time I make calzones too. I like the way you describe the splat of dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea to me. My son would be thrilled if the pizza turned out right, just once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you can get a pretty pattern in the dough from the ridges in your glass as well.

    Not that *my* kids notice, but it's still kinda neat!

    ReplyDelete