Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Little of This, A Little of That

Yup - I'm still kicking.

I haven't blogged in awhile - partly because we have somehow lost the power cord for my laptop.  I know we put it up somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember where.  We just recently discovered that the cord for my husband's laptop will work on mine as well, so at least I finally got it charged again.

The other reason I haven't blogged is because I just haven't been my usual cheerful self.  Every time I thought about blogging, it was basically a whinefest, and honestly, no one wants to read that.  So instead I look through Facebook, and read other blogs, and surf through Pinterest, and basically avoid blogging.  Tonight I had to get on my laptop to look up directions for a super secret Christmas project because Yikes!  Christmas is a week away.  I figured while I was on here, might as well ramble a while.

Chemo is ongoing.  Last Friday was my third chemo, and darned if I didn't have a reaction to the carbo out of no where.  It was scary, and no fun, and totally messed up my sleep habits last weekend thanks to the extra Benedryl and extra steroids.  Now my sleep schedule is back on track, but the Neulasta shot I get after chemo to build my white cell counts is making my ankles and knees ache something fierce, so that's made it harder to sleep.  (see?  WHINEFEST!)  My next chemo is scheduled for early January, and I don't know if I'll find out before then what we're going to do about that carbo reaction.  Will they just slow the carbo infusion down? Or are we done with carbo?  What are our other options?  We found out today that no one has done anything about the appeal for the recommended chemo that was denied by my insurance.  I hate not knowing what is going on, and I'm not scheduled to see my oncologist until the same day I'm supposed to have my next round of chemo.  This is not how I planned on spending my Christmas break!

Anyhoo.  That's where we are on that.  In better news, my CA 125 has dropped down to 55, the ascites went away about a week after the first chemo, and we're draining less than 60 mls a day from around my lung.  The chemo is working, and seems to be working pretty well.  I hope we don't lose any momentum.

My oldest son recently moved back home, and we are all re-learning how to live together.  It's hard to remember that he's spent the last year or so not having to answer to anyone, or deal with a curfew.  I'm sure it's hard for him to deal with not staying out all night because his worry wart mama doesn't sleep well until he's home.  We're figuring it out.  So far we've managed to avoid any huge scream fests, so I guess it's going pretty well.  It is nice having him home.  I missed him. 

I'm so not ready for Christmas.  Well - I'm almost ready for Christmas.  I have about 85% of what I need to finish everything up and no motivation to finish it up.  I just pile all that stuff under the tree, and tell myself that tomorrow I'll wrap some presents or put some things together.  So far - no luck.  I'm running out of time though - someone convince me to get going so I'm not doing everything Christmas Eve!

My beloved husband ruined my present for him.  I was so excited - I came up with a brilliant idea of something to get him, something I knew he'd appreciate, but he hadn't thought of asking for.  I had found one at a local store, and had it stashed in my truck.  Then I came home yesterday and damned if he hadn't bought one for himself.  Men.  No idea what to get him now, plus I have to return the one I bought.  Hmph.  If anyone has any brilliant ideas what to get a man who tends to go buy the damn things I WOULD get him for Christmas, let me know.  He may end up with nothing but Christmas cookies.  Or coal.

All in all, things are pretty good.  But going through chemo really messes with my energy levels, and the temps the week after are a pain.  We are hoping that I won't have that this time.  I'm doing my best to enjoy the season.  To enjoy this time with my family and friends.  I hope you all are doing the same. 




No comments:

Post a Comment