Friday, April 12, 2013

Definitions

I've sat here for the last 20 minutes trying to think of a topic to blog about.  The response since I started blogging about my battle has been tremendous, and I can't help but think that's what everyone wants to read about.  But do I really want to be the chick who only blogs about ovarian cancer?

The thing is, once you get cancer, your disease defines you.  I'll never again be just Mysti, or just J's mom or E's mom.  No, from now on I'll be "you know - Mysti - the one who had ovarian cancer?"  I'm not sure I like that.  I feel like I'm so much more than that.  There's so much more to who I am.

I'm the chick who loves hockey - who had season tickets to our local minor league team when we had one.  I was the booster club president for two years.  Some of my best friends are the folks I met through hockey, and some of the best times I've had were related to hockey - at games, at parties, out with the team with other fans.  It's an amazing sport - and I miss it every day.

I took figure skating lessons for 3 years while we had that team.  Learning how to do a waltz jump was one of the coolest things I've ever done.  Even though it's considered a half jump - it's like flying.  So. Amazing.

I used to write a column for a soap website.  Commentary about General Hospital, or One Life To Live.  Once even about All My Children.  It was so much fun, but once I got sick, I knew I couldn't keep up with it, so I'm on hiatus.  Maybe someday I'll be up to writing for that site again.

My kids are so awesome.  They might not fit the "popular" mold, but they are both thinkers.  They both follow the beat of their own drum.  They are as different as night and day, but they both make me proud in so many ways.  They are witty and smart and smart asses.  I adore them.  (and now both of them are so very embarassed.  pfft.  My blog - I can write what I want!)

My husband is amazing.  He has been my rock through all of this mess.  Everyone things I'm so strong, and that I'm handling this so well.  Only my husband has seen me when I was at my weakest and most afraid.  He's the only one, except for my folks on a couple of occasions, that I would let my guard down completely in front of.  And every single time, he lifted me up, encouraged me, and kept me strong.  He seems to gruff to most people who meet him...gruff and a bit of an asshole.  But he's not.  I'm so proud to be his wife.  (And now he's annoyed with me.  HA!)

I'm the chick who figure skates, reads way too much, loves to garden, cans everything she can, and spends way too much time on Facebook.  Not just the chick who has cancer.  Because I refuse to let my disease define me. 

Even if it has wrecked havoc with my body.  Oy.

But that's a whole 'other post!

(So tell me - what defines you?  Show me some comment love!)

4 comments:

  1. This is just one more facet to add to your complex beauty. You will always to part of the Huey, Dewy & Luey group. The girl who became an immediately friend, liked to hang out at twin lakes and had a gremlin. The one who totally looked cool during the punk rock phase (not everyone could rock that look!) and despite a couple decades of losing touch, flew to bfe Nebraska to attend my only daughters wedding. Just one more beauty edge to the complex diamond of a friend that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add to that an amazing writer who also writes beauty poetry (thought I forgot about that, didn't you?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mysti8:13 PM

    It's been forever since I wrote any poetry!! Leave it to Gina to remember that! And Vic thank you again for our Evie. Best dog ever.

    ReplyDelete