Thursday, May 23, 2013

Leap of Faith

After a west Texas spring that lasted all of 1 week, summer has finally arrived here in the boonies.  And that means it's time to garden.  We planted onions, potatoes and cabbage earlier in the year, but now it's finally warm enough to plant the warm weather veggies.  Tomatoes have gone into the garden at last, and in the weeks to come we will plant peppers, green beans, black eyed peas, cantaloupe, watermelon, squash, okra, cucumbers and of course - more tomatoes.

It may seem like a lot, but my husband and I love garden fresh veggies.  Right now we're in the midst of enjoying home grown asparagus any time we want it, and canning the extra.  Fresh green beans or black eyed peas are a treat that everyone should try at least once.  And oh my goodness, how I love home grown cantaloupe and watermelon.

I haven't purchased hot sauce in years.  I much prefer to make my own from home grown tomatoes.  Not to mention my Uncle James only speaks to me because I make him chow chow in the fall.  (Oh I kid.  He still spoke to me last year when I wasn't able to make him chow chow due to a lack of green tomatoes.  He said "where's my chow chow girl?" at Christmas. ;-))

I look at gardening differently this year.  For me, it's an act of faith.  I have faith that I will be healthy enough to take care of the garden while everything grows - weeding, watering, harvesting.  I have faith that I'll be healthy enough to enjoy those fresh green beans later this summer, and those home grown taters this fall.  Faith that I'll have the strength to can the extra harvest.

Faith that I'll be here.

There - I said it.  Once upon a time, not too long ago, I couldn't imagine trying to garden this summer.  There were days I didn't think I was going to ever get any strength back, much less enough to take care of a garden.  I'm still not all the way back - but I'm on my way.  I'm so grateful for that.  And even though it's been a struggle, and I still tire easily, I know now that it won't always be that way.  I know that eventually I'll be able to bend over and pull weeds without feeling like I'm drowning.

Until then - well - that's why I have children.



No comments:

Post a Comment